Online *P.H.A.N. Newsletter for Parents, Friends, and Students
(*Particularly Helpful Announcements and News)
Thursday, March 16, 2017
Thursday, March 16
- Sr. High students wanting tuxes can meet Donna from Finchers in the library for fittings during Activity period
- Jr. High gifted students left for Wichita at 6:45 a.m.
- Blood Drive at Medicine Lodge High School gym, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. in our gym and ENROLLMENT for next year in the library. (See additional info about ENROLLMENT below in "Notes from Our Counselor Mrs. Theis.")
- Next year's seniors (Class of 2018) will enroll at 5:15 p.m..
- Next year's juniors (Class of 2019) will enroll at 6:00 p.m.
- Next year's sophomores (Class of 2020) will enroll at 6:45 p.m.
- Next year's freshmen (Class of 2021) will enroll at 7:30 p.m.
- Meeting about prom for PARENTS of JUNIORS at 6:15 p.m. -- after enrollment in the Jr. High Tech Lab. (After enrollment, zip on down to the Jr. High Tech Lab -- it's between the art room and the band room.)
Friday, March 17 -- No school for students
- Parent/Teacher Conferences, 8 a.m. to noon in our gym
Monday, March 20 through Friday, March 24 -- SPRING BREAK!
Monday, March 27 -- School resumes
- Sr. High forensics will travel to Argonia for a competition. The team will leave at 1:30 p.m. and return about 11:30 p.m.
- Sr. High baseball/softball Sports Drink Scrimmage starting at 5 p.m. in the park.
Tuesday, Marh 28
- Sr. High forensics will travel to their League meet at Douglass. The team will leave at 5:30 a.m. and return about 7 p.m.
- Jr. High track will travel to Chaparral for a 1 p.m. meet. The team will leave at 11:30 a.m.
Thursday, March 30
- Sr. High varsity softball and baseball will travel to Wichita Trinity for a doubleheader starting at 3 p.m. the team will leave at 11:45 a.m.
- Sr. High JV golf will travel to Chaparral for a 3 p.m. meet. The teams will leave at 11:45 a.m.
Friday, March 31
- Sr. High varsity track will travel to Clearwater for a 4 p.m. meet.
Saturday, April 1
- High school Music Festival. (No other info has been made available yet.)
Date Changes -- Please make a note of these on your family calendar
- National Honor Society Induction has been moved to Tuesday, April 25, at 7 p.m.
- JSHS Concert has been moved to Friday, April 28, at 6:30 p.m.
Notes from Our Counselor Mrs. Theis
- Are you checking the hallway bulletin board outside Mrs. Theis' officefor college info and scholarship opportunities? It's a WEALTH of great info on these topics and more!
- Pratt Community College Junior Day is April 5 from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. That day includes the opportunities to explore the technical programs of your choice, talk with instructors, learn about admissions, financial aid, scholarships, college start courses, and take a tour of campus and residence halls. Register at protect.edu/Junior Day
- Kansas Jr. Golf Scholarships is a $6000 academic scholarship for students who have participated in junior golf activities. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic performance, leadership, a written essay, and financial need. Scholarship details and a downloadable application are available at www.kansasgolf.org/foundation/scholarships
- Kansas State University's All-University Open House is Saturday, April 1. It will highlight academic and student life opportunities, have exhibits of over 250 academic programs and more than 475 campus organizations, various housing options, career exploration activities, and student research exhibits. For more info, including a schedule of events, go to www.k-state.edu/openhouse
- Butler Community College New Student Orientation and Enrollment is Friday,April 21 at the El Dorado campus and Friday, April 28 at the Andover campus. Space is limited so students must register early to attend by calling 316-322-3163.
- PARENTS AND STUDENTS: On Thursday, March 16, we will be enrolling for NEXT YEAR in the library. ALL parents and students are encouraged to attend. We will be discussing a plan for your child. There are course changes and additions that will be discussed. College credit courses will also be discussed. Thank you for making education a priority!
Next year's seniors (Class of 2018) will enroll at 5:15 p.m..
Next year's juniors (Class of 2019) will enroll at 6:00 p.m.
Next year's sophomores (Class of 2020) will enroll at 6:45 p.m.
Next year's freshmen (Class of 2021) will enroll at 7:30 p.m.
- ALL scholarships that have been listed here since September are listed on our section of the usd254.org website. This website of scholarship information from Mrs. Theis is updated every week.
- Girls going to prom -- Please see Mrs. Theis if you would like the opportunity to have your hair (possibly makeup if time) fixed for prom! Mrs. Theis knows a particularly kind recent graduate of MLHS who would be willing to help you out. This would be a free service.
Miscellaneous School and Community Notes
- SENIORS need to get their Senior photo for the yearbook to Mrs. Dohrmann by Monday, April 3.
- These SENIORS have not turned in a baby photo for the yearbook:
Destiny Evans Deagan McGrath, Jenai Snyder Troy Smith
- 8th grade students need to bring a baby photo to school or email one to Becki Clouse at email@example.com by spring break. This is for the presentation. These will be made into a PowerPoint presentation and be shared as part of the Jr. High Awards Presentation at the end of the school year.
- The weekly MLJSHS P.H.A.N. Newsletter is posted on the USD 254 website at usd254.org each Friday morning.